[BCMA] Webinar - Renaming and Reconciliation

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Wed Aug 4 07:57:23 PDT 2021

Hello All,

We are hosting a free upcoming webinar on renaming and reconciliation. It will explore some of the issues surrounding commemorative naming and the need to re-evaluate and contextualize the names we apply to places. The webinar is free and open to all, please feel free to circulate the information as you see fit.

Renaming and Reconciliation

Names matter. Throughout Canada, the names of settlers have been applied to streets, buildings, towns, and environmental features as celebrations of the namesakes' perceived accomplishments. However, Canadians are beginning to reflect on the history of these famous figures, their legacies, and the impact of their actions on Indigenous and other marginalized populations. This webinar will explore some of the issues surrounding commemorative naming and the need to re-evaluate and contextualize the names we apply to places.
We acknowledge that the information that will be shared in this virtual presentation can be triggering and result in unpleasant thoughts and feelings. We encourage you to practice self-care and reach out to your community for support. You can contact the Indian Residential School Survivors Society toll-free 1 (800) 721-0066 or 24hr Crisis Line 1 (866) 925-4419 if you require emotional support or assistance.

Know History Webinar Series

Know History's webinar series is part of our ongoing response to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC). In particular, this series is intended to address Call to Action 92, which calls on the corporations to educate management and staff on the history of Indigenous peoples, including residential schools.
All of our webinars are designed in partnership with Indigenous educators, leaders, and/or activists. If you would like to suggest a topic for an upcoming webinar or share your knowledge with this audience, please email info at knowhistory.ca<mailto:info at knowhistory.ca>.

Speakers

Edna Elias

Edna served as the Commissioner of Nunavut from 2010 to 2015. She is a resident of Kugluktuk, Nunavut, and a beneficiary of the Nunavut Agreement. She is an advocate and active promoter of Inuit language, culture, and history within Canada. Edna founded the Edmonton Inuit Cultural Society and was involved in numerous renaming efforts within the City of Edmonton.

Tom Van Dewark

As a public historian and the Director of Know History's Western Operations, Tom leads interdisciplinary teams of historical researchers and creative designers, in collaboration with community stakeholders. He has worked with Indigenous communities across Canada to preserve and share their histories. During this presentation, Tom will provide a historical perspective on the significance of names and the long legacy of naming and re-naming places in what is now Canada.

Registration:

August 17 at 7pm EST - Register here: https://knowhistory.co/WebinarAug17
August 19 at 12:30 EST - Register here: https://knowhistory.co/WebinarAug19

The event is free and open to all. We will be hosting the session twice. Follow the links above to register and receive the Zoom login information. After registering, the Zoom platform will send you an automatic email with webinar link. If you do not receive the link, please check your junk folder.

Thank you,

Ashley

[cid:image001.png at 01D7890E.BC1E2A80]
[Title: Facebook  - Description: Facebook icon]<http://www.facebook.com/knowhistory>  [Title: instagram - Description: instagram icon] <http://www.instagram.com/knowhistorycanada>   [Title: Twitter - Description: twitter icon] <http://www.twitter.com/knowhistorycdn>
  Ashley Henrickson
  Manager of Marketing and
  Business Development | She/Her
  Phone: 403-819-5392  Mobile: 403-501-9075
  200-1224 9th Ave SE
  Calgary AB, T2G 0T1
  knowhistory.ca <http://knowhistory.ca/>

The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential. They are intended for the named recipient(s) only.
If you have received this email by mistake, please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this email.