[BCMA] BC Government New Mask Mandate

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Tue Aug 24 11:14:17 PDT 2021

*Mask mandate to reduce transmission, protect people in public spaces*

As of Wednesday, Aug. 25, 2021, masks must be worn in all indoor public
spaces throughout B.C. to help slow the transmission of COVID-19 as B.C.
prepares for the fall and respiratory illness season.

A new order <https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0053-001665> from the
provincial health officer will require people 12 and older to wear masks in
indoor public settings, regardless of vaccination status. These settings
include:

   - malls, shopping centres, coffee shops and retail and grocery stores;
   - liquor and drug stores;
   - airports, city halls, libraries, community and recreation centres;
   - restaurants, pubs and bars (unless seated);
   - on public transportation, in a taxi or ride-sharing vehicle;
   - areas of office buildings where services to the public are provided;
   - common areas of sport and fitness centres when not engaged in physical
   activity;
   - common areas of post-secondary institutions and non-profit
   organizations; and
   - inside schools for all K-12 staff, visitors and students in grades
   4-12.

This temporary order will be reassessed as the B.C. vaccine card
requirement is fully implemented in certain social and recreational
settings, as announced on Aug. 23.

“As transmission of COVID-19 increases in B.C., primarily among
unvaccinated people and in part due to the Delta variant, it’s important to
take this extra temporary step to make indoor public spaces safer for
everyone,” said Dr. Bonnie Henry, provincial health officer. “We need to
continue doing the things that protect us, including wearing masks in
indoor, public areas, practising hand hygiene regularly, staying away if we
are sick and keeping a respectful distance from people. And most important
of all, every person should get vaccinated to protect themselves, their
loved ones and their community.”

For the purposes of this order, a mask or face covering is defined as a
medical or non-medical mask that covers the nose and mouth. Face shields
are not a substitute for a mask, as there is an opening below the mouth.

“As unvaccinated people continue to get sick and hospitalized with
COVID-19, we’re taking another step to ensure we overcome COVID-19
together, and that we move forward together,” said Adrian Dix, Minister of
Health. “Our pandemic has always been about making good choices with the
information we have and making the best choices to keep people safe. Now
more than ever, we need to follow the advice and orders of the provincial
health officer.”

People who cannot wear a mask or who cannot put on or remove a mask without
the assistance of others are exempt. A person may not be able to wear a
mask for a psychological, behavioural or health condition, or due to a
physical, cognitive or mental impairment.

Masks may be removed temporarily in indoor public places to identify the
individual wearing the mask, to consume food or beverage at a location
designated for this purpose, while participating in a sport or fitness
activity in a sport facility or while receiving a personal or health
service that requires the mask to be removed.

Masks are not recommended for children under the age of two, but should be
encouraged for children aged two to 12 in public settings. Children older
than 12 must wear a mask in a public indoor space, unless they are exempt.

Learn More:

For information on the latest provincial health officer’s orders and
guidance, non-medical issues (such as travel recommendations) and how to
manage social isolation, visit: www.gov.bc.ca/COVID-19

For more information and latest medical updates on COVID-19, visit the BC
Centre for Disease Control’s website: http://www.bccdc.ca
Or follow on Twitter: @CDCofBC

For information on how to register and book a COVID-19 appointment, visit:
www2.gov.bc.ca/getvaccinated
<https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register>

--

Lorenda Calvert
Programs Coordinator

Pronouns: she/her. To learn why pronouns are important, click here
<https://equity.ubc.ca/resources/gender-diversity/pronouns/>

<https://www.google.com/maps/search/675+Belleville+Street+%7C%7C+Victoria,+BC+%7C%7C+V8W+9W2+%0D%0A+%0D%0A+Office:+250?entry=gmail&source=g>
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/675+Belleville+Street+%7C%7C+Victoria,+BC+%7C%7C+V8W+9W2+%0D%0A+%0D%0A+Office:+250?entry=gmail&source=g>

museum.bc.ca <http://www.museum.bc.ca/>

The BCMA 2021 Conference will take place on October 7, 14, 21 & 28. Find
out more and register
<https://museum.bc.ca/conferences-and-events/conference/> today!