[BCMA] 'We Do Not Work Alone' at Nanaimo Art Gallery

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Wed Aug 18 12:01:26 PDT 2021

*We Do Not Work Alone *activates Nanaimo Art Gallery’s collection of more
than sixty-five ceramic works from BC through encounters with contemporary
artists, craftspeople, and other cultural practitioners. The exhibition
includes an archive section of works by influential 20th century potters
Kawai Kanjirō, Hamada Shōji, and Maria and Santana Martinez, and films by
Marty Gross/Mingei Film Archive. The central part of the gallery will
feature new installations by artists Steven Brekelmans, Roy Caussy, Kate
Metten, and Laura Wee Láy Láq.

During the run of this exhibition we will be featuring Pot Librarians in
the exhibition to help visitors connect with, and understand, this
exhibition. Each librarian will come with their own unique perspective so
make sure you visit more than once! Thursday mornings from 10am - 1pm
Curator Jesse Birch will be at the desk.

For a special event, join us in the gallery for a talk and tour with Laura
Wee Láy Láq on *Saturday, September 18, at 2:00 pm! *Laura Wee Láy Láq is
an artist who has been working with clay for over fifty years. Her stunning
and resonant forms featured in *We Do Not Work Alone* are in dialogue with
global contemporary ceramics while deeply connected to the land, the
elements, and her Sto:lo and Kwakwaka’wakw communities.

For a full description of this exhibition and to see photos of the
exhibition, please visit our website.
<https://nanaimoartgallery.ca/exhibition/we-do-not-work-alone/>

--
Dana Gage (she/her)