[BCMA] Press Release: New Exhibit Opening - Gulf of Georgia Cannery National Historic Site

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Mon Apr 26 10:14:13 PDT 2021

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 26, 2021
New Exhibit Opening - Waves of Innovation: Stories from the West Coast

RICHMOND, BC - The Gulf of Georgia Cannery Society's new exhibition opens May 1st, 2021. Waves of Innovation: Stories from the West Coast features stories of adaptations and innovations in the commercial fishing industry and their effects on west coast communities.

Four key areas of innovation will be highlighted - energy, fishing, preservation, and innovations of today. Examples of artifacts from each area of innovation will be featured, as well as interactive displays which will help visitors of all ages and backgrounds explore the question - What does innovation mean to you?
Stephanie Halapija, Executive Director comments "This bold new exhibition is a reflection of our diverse community, both of the past and the present. We are excited to share these stories, many of which have been sourced from oral histories in our collection. And we are grateful for the opportunities that it has provided for our team to work with local partners such as Skipper Otto and the Steveston Harbour Authority. Showcasing innovations of the past helps to highlight the continued innovation happening on our doorstep --- changing our families, communities and entire industries even today."
Waves of Innovation explores the idea that not all innovations had positive impacts on people and the environment. Featured stories include voices of the diverse peoples who are integral to the industry and who lived through these waves of change: fishers, cannery workers, and their families. Where possible, the voices of Indigenous, Chinese Canadians and Japanese Canadians are highlighted, as well as each communities' unique contributions to the featured innovations, the impact of these innovations on each community, and relevant social history.
This exhibition is supported by the Province of British Columbia.
The Gulf of Georgia Cannery National Historic Site remains open to the public with limited capacity, and in adherence with the Provincial Health Officer's guidelines on COVID-19 safety and health for our staff, volunteers, and visitors. Please check our website before you visit for our latest COVID-19 updates.

The Gulf of Georgia Cannery National Historic Site of Canada is operated by the non-profit Gulf of Georgia Cannery Society, on behalf of Parks Canada. Location: 12138 Fourth Avenue at Moncton, Richmond (Steveston Village). Hours: Open daily, year round from 10am-5pm. Tel: 604-664-9009  www.gulfofgeorgiacannery.org<http://www.gulfofgeorgiacannery.org>

Media Contact:   Mimi Horita  mimi.horita at gogcannery.org<mailto:mimi.horita at gogcannery.org>   604.664.9006

-30-