[BCMA] BCMA Call for Artist Proposals

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Mon Apr 12 11:03:57 PDT 2021

Hello,

The BC Museums Association (BCMA) is seeking a BC-based Indigenous artist
to create a new or use an existing work that evokes the spirit of
repatriation and acts as a symbol of institutional participation in a
nationwide Call to Action that will be released this Spring.

*About the Work to be Created: *

The BCMA will circulate a variety of display options that institutions who
sign on to the Call to Action can use at their locations to publicly
announce their support. The work should be small enough to be used in a
letterhead, as stickers, and on other printed materials.

The work should be clearly identifiable in both colour and greyscale. The
image should be scalable for the above and additional considered uses so
that it is recognizable at all sizes. Style, colours used, and content will
be at the artists’ discretion.

*Compensation: *$4,000

*About the Scope:*

The BCMA will share this Call to Action with a network of museum and
cultural heritage professionals across the country and expects national
attention. The Call will be distributed among BCMA members, a total of
roughly 400 cultural organizations in British Columbia, and shared
nationally with partner organizations across Canada.

This Call to Action will also be launched on the BCMA website, added to
newsletters, and released to the media in association with our project
launch, creating additional reach for the artwork.

Recognition of the artist will be included in all press releases, member
communications, and on the Call to Action website when it is launched.

*How to Apply:*

We are seeking proposals by April 21, 2021 at midnight and require
completed works from the contracted artist by April 30, 2021.

Please send a maximum of three example works to Leia Patterson at
bcma at museum.bc.ca.

Please include your full name and preferred contact details within the
email.

*Review & Selection Process:*

The BCMA’s Indigenous Advisory Committee
<https://indigenous.museum.bc.ca/about-us> and Indigenous Engagement team
will review, select, and contact the contracted artist.

Any questions about the process can be sent to Leia Patterson at
bcma at museum.bc.ca

Click here
<https://museum.bc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/BCMA-Request-for-Art-Proposals-Spring-2021.pdf>
for a downloadable PDF of the Call for Proposals.
*About the BC Museums Association*:

Since 1957 the BCMA has supported British Columbia’s museum sector through
professional training, advocacy, funding, and networking. In 2017, the BCMA
Council unanimously endorsed the Rod Naknakim Declaration, named after Rod
Naknakim of the We Wai Kai Nation. The Declaration encourages cultural
institutions
to work in partnership with Indigenous peoples to decolonize museums,
archives, and cultural spaces, creating new opportunities for
collaboration, increased respect, and repatriation. Shortly after, the BCMA
established the Indigenous Advisory Committee to provide guidance to the
organization and enhance the relationship between the heritage sector and
Indigenous communities.

--

Please feel free to circulate this call for proposals within your networks.
We have attached the call for proposals PDF to this email in addition to

Thank you!

Leia

Leia Patterson
Learning Resources Coordinator
Pronouns <https://equity.ubc.ca/resources/gender-diversity/pronouns/>:
She/Her

www.museum.bc.ca

We have launched our new online learning portal and you can now find the
BCMA at *museum.bc.ca <http://museum.bc.ca>*. Please note that this email
address has changed accordingly.