[BCMA] Nanaimo Art Gallery Job Posting: Community Programming Coordinator

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Thu Apr 8 10:54:12 PDT 2021

*Position: Community Programming Coordinator*

*Salary:* $25/hr, benefit plan available

*Hours:* Permanent, full time. Up to 37.5 hours/week, with the fully
supported ability to negotiate your working contract to suit the needs of
your body and lifestyle and to accommodate how full-time looks for you. Hours
could include time spent working from home.

*Closing Date:* April 23, 2021

*Anticipated Start Date:* We would like to enable the successful candidate
to start as early as mid-May, 2021.

*The Opportunity*

Nanaimo Art Gallery is growing our dynamic team! The Community Programming
Coordinator shares our values of innovation, collaboration and
accessibility and is eager to engage the communities through inspiring
programs. Reporting to the Executive Director and working closely with the
Art Education Coordinator you will help shape the Gallery’s educational
programming vision.

*About Nanaimo Art Gallery*

Located in the heart of Nanaimo, on the lands of the Snuneymuxw, Nanaimo
Art Gallery is an ambitious public art museum that inspires and engages its
communities through art.

Over the past several years, the Gallery has moved through a phase of
significant transformation to reposition itself in the communities we serve
and to enhance our capacity. We have re-imagined and enriched our
integrated exhibition and education programs, created new partnerships, and
strengthened our relationships with artists and audiences. We are a trusted
organization with a growing reputation.

Unique in our region, we are creating new understandings of the potential
of contemporary art. An inquiry-based approach infuses and connects all
Gallery activities and a small, dedicated team of staff, board and
volunteers offers a program that is rooted in our unique regional context
and resonates with audiences, globally.

*The Position*

*Profile of the Candidate*

You are a creative, passionate and dedicated individual who is excited at
the opportunity to contribute to a growing organization. On a daily basis
you will work closely with your colleagues as a key member of a supportive
team in which all voices are heard.

Drawing on your experiences, you will expand the reach of our programs in
the community. With the Gallery’s annual inquiries in mind, you will encourage
sharing and learning through our exhibitions, educational programming
opportunities and community outreach.

*Responsibilities*

The successful applicant will be supported as they make this position their
own by bringing their unique ideas, passions and experiences to the role.
Collaborating with the Art Education Coordinator, responsibilities will
include, but may not be limited to:

●       Designing, developing and facilitating engaging and accessible
public programs for diverse audiences including classes, camps and
workshops for children, school programs, learning opportunities for teens,
adults and families

●       Exhibitions interpretation, developed in collaboration with the
Curatorial team

●       Working closely with exhibiting and community artists

●       Developing and nurturing relationships and partnerships throughout
the community

●       Recruitment, training and supervision of part time programming
staff, summer students and volunteers

●       Researching, preparing funding applications to support initiatives
related to community engagement, as well as follow-up reporting

●       Contributing to the development and oversight of the departmental
budget

●       Working with our Marketing Coordinator to promote programs

●       Staying attuned to evolving practices within the arts and culture
sector

*Requirements (Qualifications, Knowledge, Education and Skills)*

●       Bachelors or Master’s degree in Art Education or a related field
(i.e. visual art, art history, museum studies, etc), or a combination of
education and experience will be considered

●       3-5 years programming experience in art gallery/museum education

●       Experience in the design, development and facilitation of
educational programs

●       Demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion and accessibility

●       Community-minded and skilled at building and maintaining
relationships with individuals and community partners

●       Creative and innovative

●       Passion for art, culture and community engagement

●       Proactive and self-motivated

●       Desire to contribute to and collaborate with a creative team

●       Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, verbal and
written,

●       Ability to think critically, employ sound judgment, evaluate
situations and engage appropriate parties at varying levels to arrive at
solutions.

●       Ability to successfully organize, prioritize and complete multiple
planned and unplanned projects

●       Proficiency in common communication tools (MS Office, Google Suite,
Zoom, etc)

*To Apply*

Please submit a letter of interest, detailed resume, and 3 references by
email to carolynh at nanaimogallery.ca with the subject heading “Community
Programming Coordinator Search”

Closing date for applications is April 23, 2021. Only those selected for an
interview will be contacted.

Nanaimo Art Gallery hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed
to equity and diversity within its community.

The Gallery encourages applications from women, visible minority group
members, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations
and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to
productively engage with diverse communities.

Dana Gage (she/her)
--
Marketing & Communications Coordinator
Nanaimo Art Gallery